The diptyque questionnaire was based on the one completed by Marcel Proust which had become popular and out of the 34 questions, the diptyque partner answering them will choose which they wish to share on memento.
Olympia Le-Tan is a Franco-British fashion designer. Having worked at Chanel and Balmain she went on to launch her own brand in her name in 2009 focusing initially on accessories before branching out into fashion in 2012.
Her name is linked to the « minaudiere clutch case », a dainty evening bag that had fallen out of fashion for decades which she revamped with a twist. She brought two of her passions, books and embroidery, to the table and only a minaudiere could combine the two.
Her clothing designs are aimed at a playful, childlike, funny, lively and cultured woman, who is smart and loving, and who leads her life as a mixture of reality and fantasy, just like Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll, 1865).
Her first boutique in Passage des deux Pavillons in the 1st arrondissement in Paris will be followed by upcoming stores in London, New York and Tokyo.
2. What period of human history – a « distant country » in the words of Racine – would you like to visit as an invisible tourist?
4. Your favourite smell
The base of my little nephew Otto’s neck
5. Your Madeleine (Proust)
7. Most poignant animal
16. Three key films
My neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki with Ghibli sudios, 1988) , Red Shoes (Michael Powell, 1948), Taste of Sake (Yasujirõ Ozu, 1962)
20. Which people, past or present, real or fictional, inspire you?
Betty Page, Totoro, Marguerite Duras
23. Is it a big problem if you’re not loved back when you love?
24. Where do you go to escape the rat race?
27. Does designing rule your life?
33. What’s your favourite diptyque fragrance (perfume or candles)?